

**MINUTES OF MEETING
SOUTH-DADE VENTURE
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT**

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the South-Dade Venture Community Development District was held on Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 4:00 p.m., at the Waterstone Clubhouse, Phase II, 1355 Waterstone Way, Homestead, Florida.

Present and constituting a quorum were:

Curtis Cooper
Miguel Aponte
Sonia Castro

Chairman
Vice Chairman
Assistant Secretary

Also present was:

Mike Pawelczyk
Paul Winkeljohn
Dennis Baldis
Jeff Dunkelberger

District Attorney
District Manager
Governmental Management Services
Governmental Management Services

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS

Roll Call & Pledge of Allegiance

Mr. Cooper called the meeting to order, called the roll and the Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all who attended the meeting.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS

**Approval of the Minutes of the
June 27, 2013 Meeting**

Mr. Cooper: Moving on to item No. 2, I need an approval of the minutes of the June 27, 2013 meeting. Is there any discussion with regard to changes? I believe on page 10 Paul, just some grammatical stuff that needed to be worked on, and also Mr. Lopez had some changes that he sent Mr. Winkeljohn.

Mr. Winkeljohn: I already took care of those.

Mr. Cooper: Alright, so those were just the changes that we had, so if there is no more discussion we would just need a motion to approve the minutes.

On MOTION by Ms. Castro seconded by Mr. Aponte with all in favor, the Minutes of the June 27, 2013 Meetings were approved.

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS

Update on Refinancing and Potential Refunding of the Bonds

A. Approval of Series 2013 Special Assessment Refunding Bonds Assessment Allocation Report

Mr. Cooper: Item No. 3, Update on Refinancing and Potential Refunding of the Bonds.

Mr. Winkeljohn: It's no longer potential, but the reason this is on your agenda is two-fold, one was the original proposal from bond counsel had a higher price in it and the board authorized not to exceed \$40,000, so the document never came back to you with that correct price, but it is today. You've already accepted their services, etc., we just need to have that signed by the chairman, it's already been approved at that price, that's the reason this was on your agenda in part A. Part B was, this morning with Curtis' effort the bond pre-closing took place and Mike's as well and that's really good news. If you remember at the last meeting our financial advisor came to us and said we needed to adjust the 14% to a 12% savings, the good news is we purchased the bonds at 13.5% savings so we came back up to a really good number. So the ½% that we lost was unavoidable and well within the range of a benefit. You may also have received the mailed notice from me to the residents of the entire District, there are two schools of thought on a mailed notice requirement. Technically any time you're increasing your assessments you have to send the mailed notice inviting the public to the public hearing to adopt that increase, because you're technically not giving them a net increase and some Districts in the past did not do that mailing, they would just say, no we're not raising it, it washes together with the debt, the operations and maintenance went up a little bit, and it's not net increase, in fact it was a decrease for almost everybody except the Boulevard folks, and we chose as you know to go on the side of the conservative approach to that and I think the correct approach which was to do the mailed notice.

That was done, there was a chart in there, there were 3 bold sentences in there saying, your total increase was, there was no increase to your assessment but this is what happened, and I tried to spell it out as best I could in the letter. I haven't been at my desk since Monday, so tomorrow I will have the chart that I made and the basic question and answer stuff up on the website, so if anybody wants to look at it they'll be able to find it. In the bond proceedings we did authorize that if the financing could be done and some money could be pulled aside for a cash purchase of a project we would like to do that. We were able to do that and so I believe it's going to be in the \$70,000 or \$80,000 which will be in a construction fund only drawn out by approved construction request through the engineer, the normal construction process for a District. That money will be funded on the 30th. What that tells me is, we know we're using some Boulevard assessment money and the operating side for that project as well, both pieces of money are going to be necessary, but at the end of that we don't have to wait until November, December or January when we get our revenue from the tax roll because we'd have to get it all to have enough to hire a contractor. We're going to have enough money probably this fall to do that, and the fall is a really good time to do a construction project, usually you can get in decent weather that kind of thing, so that's good news, so that accelerated the project and thought process, and I'll be able to share more of this with you as the process plays out, it looks like I might be able to pull a few more financial techniques in order to give the District some cash also. There is some money that's unrestricted that's unnecessary to meet the obligations for the 2008 Bond and now with a lower rate we'll ask for that money to come to operating and use it on the gates. I don't know how much it will be but I'm just letting you know that we're watching everything, because every penny that we can get goes to an investment and if it's sitting in an account doing nothing it's doing nothing for you, so I'd rather have your money go to work and re-investing in the community, so that's good news all the way around, so we're very happy we closed and that's my report on your refinancing. I had a few calls, the letters hit probably Tuesday or Wednesday in most mailboxes and in August my recommendation will be to approve the budget as proposed, pending

anything unusual, but I think you're going to be well placed financially with the extra money coming to the clubhouse. I think that was a very professional and intelligent and shrewd use of your finances without increasing taxes to the residents. You're going to be able to look at upgrading your tot lot, redoing the pool, and we just got hit with \$20,000 worth of pool pumps, so you're going to have resources now to react to your priorities more swiftly rather than just pick the one priority that you have to do and do nothing else the rest of the year. You could live like that but it's certainly better, it's more like the rest of the CDD to operate with a checking account that you can spend and we'll start looking at what are the priorities for that money in the clubhouse and so between now and October that money will be tax delayed so we won't be spending it right away but you can start thinking about it and see what Maria's suggestions are, I heard the air conditioner making noise a few times today, but those are the realities.

Ms. Castro: Right, and it's been like that for a while.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Ok, so we have a substantial asset here that is expensive and we'd like to maintain it at a higher level, so we'll move forward with that.

Ms. Castro: And the Boulevard project, it is the pavers, the asphalt that has been broken and also to add another sewer.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Right, we're going to double the amount of drainage capacity, we're going to reconfigure the road so that the gate guard can park in an area as opposed to sitting across the yellow lines. We will reorganize the curbing to match and fix the pavers so that in the event, we're going to look at a way to put the pavers in, in the event that we'd still get those flash rain incidents and the drainage will take it but it will still wash out the pavers so we'll look at a way to set the pavers more permanently.

Ms. Castro: Can't we seal them?

Mr. Winkeljohn: Well you might re-cement them in, that might be the answer.

Ms. Castro: Ok.

Mr. Winkeljohn: That's all been designed, we have that design, the engineer has estimated the cost for all of that, and that's what built that money into that construction fund, so we're totally comfortable there but we'll certainly keep the board tied to the

steps through that but I wouldn't be surprised if I could, and I'm going to ask JVA to give me their price and if they're sticking to our original unit pricing, I would probably recommend going with them. We know them, they know the area, they have a good unit price that was bid, so this project won't cross any bidding thresholds so I'd be comfortable recommending them to do this project.

Ms. Castro: Ok.

Mr. Winkeljohn: That's it.

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS

Staff Reports

Mr. Cooper: Ok, moving on to Staff Reports, item No. 4, Mr. Attorney.

A. Attorney

Mr. Pawelczyk: Yes, at the last meeting we discussed issues for the boundary buffer areas, and without spending too much time on it, the question was, can we sell the property, or give it away, the answer is, no. Those are platted tracts so they're on the plat and they're designated as, for the most part, open space, landscape and utility areas, so that's what they're supposed to be used for and that's what they are used for. If we were to go through this process we would have to re-plate all of those plats and obviously that's not something the District would do, or would be a good use of District funds, so I think we need to continue to look at that and see if we can come up with some other solutions as we go. I know there was a gentleman here from Portofino Bay who expressed some concerns about the buffer area behind his home, and Dennis is going to try and meet with him in the next couple of weeks to see if there's a solution and maybe if we can come up with a solution for one, the rest will follow, so that's all I looked at with respect to that item. The other item we talked about were encroachment and license agreements, so I went through my files and I prepared this list of all the encroachment and license agreements that I was able to come across that I've worked on in this District, with some detail there, and I'm not saying that we should discuss these now, I think this is just more informational. In connection with that I also, we talked about Stonebrook II, and I sent that information to Curtis at his request recently,

because we didn't have enough time to get this in the book, so I don't know if he's had a chance to look at it yet or not.

Mr. Copper: No.

Mr. Pawelczyk: Ok, well if you look for example at Stonebrook HOA, Inc.

Ms. Castro: Is that Stonebrook I?

Mr. Pawelczyk: Whatever is Stonebrook HOA, Inc.

Ms. Castro: But we have two, Stonebrook I and Stonebrook II.

Mr. Pawelczyk: Well whatever the association name is, that's what this goes by, so if the association is Stonebrook HOA, that's the one I sent to Curtis because I think there was an issue of whether or not all those improvements are included or we need to amend it to add improvements, and I'm only explaining this now since we have the opportunity to see where we go with these in the future. So these are all the ones that we have that I can find. If you look, I have the POAs and the HOAs listed at the top, then we have the Waterstone School which is just the sign, and then the 3 other ones were encroachments into the lake maintenance easement that the board agreed to back in 2007. The 2012 date that you see for Jane Dominguez, it's 2012 because the board authorized that in 2007 but it was never executed for some reason, so I think the properties all shared the same problem, the fences were already there. Going back to the POA, if you look at the second entry which is, let's call them the Portofinos, there are two there, one is an amendment, the first one is the license agreement for fencing, and the second one is the amendment which removed Portofino Lakes and Portofino Point because they didn't want to do it, they never installed any fencing. So that's basically the overview of what we have, I think the exercise was just to prepare for informational purposes, so we have a list that we can go by, and I sent this to the manager so they have it.

Mr. Cooper: I know you said about re-platting because I believe Stonebrook, that entrance row and traffic circle was the concern for that community that it's platted as District but it's really their monument and sign.

Mr. Pawelczyk: Right, it's District property, but their monument is in there.

Mr. Cooper: So would they be able to plat, if they wanted to, as theirs?

Mr. Pawelczyk: No, and I'll be honest with you, why would they do that, why would they want to carve out that area which is the traffic circle, why would they want to carve that out?

Mr. Winkeljohn: Right, they would have no interest whatsoever.

Mr. Pawelczyk: But they have the authority now to put the stuff in the traffic circle.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Don't forget why that was done, that was done to protect them from the future because the District could come and say, move your sign, so we don't want that, and they don't want that, it would ruin the flow of the community.

Mr. Pawelczyk: And all that stuff that was in there, was built by the developer and that's all of these, so we cleaned those up because we asked to.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Right, so everybody is protected if they want to change it, just like we did with your community, we could look at it and say, well it doesn't alter the traffic process or flow, knock yourselves out, and it matches the look of the community, we will give you the green light and you can go at it, that's really all we do.

Mr. Pawelczyk: Here's the other issue, if you were to go through that process and then deed that property to Stonebrook HOA, that entrance circle, now Stonebrook HOA is responsible for the whole thing, and my recollection of that area is in looking at the maps is, if the District is going to repave something, we're going to repave around the traffic circle and back, when we do our roads, otherwise we're going to stop there, and to me that's more of a public area outside the gates than it is a private area. If Stonebrook HOA needs to add an electrical box, or a cable box, or some utility into that traffic circle, they just need to let us know and we'll amend the agreement to add it, if it needs to be amended. I think it's pretty broad the way it's written now, to allow them to keep that stuff in there, I think it allows them to put security cameras and whatever in there, well as long as those are in there, and they have to change something, they could still put those in there.

Mr. Cooper: I think another one of the concerns was also where the gate operators are and the gate that's actually plotted as well because I think that's the road portion of the entrance row.

Mr. Pawelczyk: The entrance row, r-o-w, is a right-of-way.

Mr. Cooper: Yes, so there's apparently part of the District property that has their gate operators and their gate motors as well on there.

Mr. Pawelczyk: I think that's included in the agreement, take a look at it.

Mr. Cooper: Ok, so it's basically one.

Mr. Pawelczyk: There's an exhibit A there.

Ms. Castro: I think that was there because I remember that one of the points of contention, why they sat on it for about a year to sign it was because of the operators, the monument, they have speed bumps.

Mr. Pawelczyk: And I think it makes sense to include those in there in any case. If the community needs some of our land on a temporary license agreement basis, I think it benefits the public to do that and we can do that. The problem is the District can't lease property, it can't get a long term lease, or a normal lease, but if we're giving them a license and it's really for a public purpose, arguably, it's still for a public purpose because the public still needs to access those gates.

Mr. Cooper: The gates though as we've done them before, we could basically, if it should have been that association, as we've done before, couldn't we rectify it with the Dade-County book like we did previously with others?

Mr. Pawelczyk: Well the only reason that was is because those were instances where the property appraiser didn't read all the public records, the deeds that track the deeds on a particular parcel, they missed one. So we would just send the deed and then they correct it.

Mr. Cooper: Ok, so this one isn't the case where their gate is, not the circle part, but where their gate is?

Mr. Pawelczyk: No, my understanding of this one is when the developer came in he installed stuff on District property, whether they were the gates, the gate arms, the

gate mechanisms, the monument lighting, he just went in and he said, let's put this here because it looks right.

Mr. Cooper: Ok.

Mr. Pawelczyk: So that's what happened, and the board at the time came back in 09 and this is not too long ago, but I think they talked about it like Sonia said for 2 years, and they came in and they said, let's do this, now they're good, they have the permission to be there, so no one can come back and say you don't have permission to be there because that was never the intent of the District to stop somebody from being there. I think if there's a similar traffic circle and someone comes in and wants to build in the traffic circle, put a monument there, that might be a different issue than somebody who has inherited the problem that was really caused by the developer, but we can address those situations as they come along because I think each is unique on an individual basis. That's all I have, and let me know what you want to do. Curtis if we need to add something for Stonebrook I just let me know.

Mr. Cooper: Ok.

Mr. Pawelczyk: I might even have a copy of that with me, I do actually and it's Stonebrook I.

Ms. Castro: Ok.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Very good.

Mr. Aponte: I think all of us have visited that area anyway and we know what it looks like.

Mr. Pawelczyk: So if there's something else in there that we need to add, let me know. The other thing we did is Paul sent me the clubhouse rental contract that the association was using here, between Paul and I we have it just about revised, I sent my final comments yesterday which since he hasn't been at his office, he hasn't seen them.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Thank you and we'll put it into operation as soon as Mike and staff has seen it, just to use it as a tool to keep the rental process fitting our rules, that's all it is, there's no action from you required, other than just letting you know that we try to keep the forms working for us rather than against us.

Mr. Pawelczyk: Right and we can put it on the website also.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Yes, as soon as I get a good copy I'll post it up there under the clubhouse.

Mr. Cooper: Ok, good.

B. Engineer

There not being any, the next item followed.

C. Field Manager - Consideration of Actions and Proposals from Field Manager's Report

Mr. Cooper: Moving on to the field manager's report, Dennis?

Mr. Baldis: Ok, just general maintenance pretty much is what we've been doing. On the hedge that we had hard pruned, it is coming back nicely thanks to the enormous amount of rain we've gotten, I'm extremely pleased with that. The hedge along Campbell Drive is growing really nicely also, so I'm very pleased with that. We got the annuals in, so we're just doing general maintenance right now and trying to keep up with things, we're expecting an enormous amount of weeds to start popping up now that the sun has come out after two weeks of monsoon type weather. I also was asked to get pricing to put up holiday lighting at the two roundabouts and I'll have that for the next meeting, and believe it or not at the next meeting we'll be talking about doing all the fall mulching, annuals, pressure cleaning, and making a schedule so everything gets done on time and how everybody's expecting it and including the clubhouse also. I didn't see the decorations here for the 4th of July but I heard they were very nice.

Mr. Cooper: They were nice, yes.

Mr. Aponte: Yes, I saw it.

Mr. Baldis: Ok. The other thing that is ongoing is the repairing of the lights on the monument sign, and all I can do is continue to apologize and tell you we're trying to find a vendor to help us with that and it has been quite the challenge.

Mr. Aponte: Are you talking about the actual Waterstone sign?

Mr. Winkeljohn: Yes, the little LED connectors that make the lighting change, we can't get them easily.

Mr. Baldis: We bought those signs from Sol Signs, and those were the first people we called and this is no exaggeration, after about 2 to 3 weeks I finally was able to get out of them, you didn't buy these off of us, and I said sure we bought them from Sol Signs, and he said, no I bought Sol Signs and I'm the new owner and I don't know anything about that. So we just wasted 3 weeks there just trying to figure that out and who we bought them off of, and he didn't know how to repair them or anything about them and so it's been a constant search trying to find someone that could help us match these lights so all the colors match on each sign and the remotes work.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Right, there's 3 simple components to the lighted part of the sign and the technology for the LED plug in part is changing, so we may be stuck with the inability to match the rest of the lights that are not broken, so we may have to take one sign and remove all the lights and replace them with the current model, if you will, and now if that model is compatible with our transformer and remote control system, we're all happy, but what are the chances of that, not very good. So we'll keep you updated, I can't think of any other way to approach this than what we've been doing.

Ms. Castro: If we cannot do it, then I propose that in the meantime we go back to our old model of the up lighting, and maybe that can give us a temporary solution where we are lighting our monument and that way everybody looks the same because it could prove to be the better solution, at least temporarily.

Mr. Baldis: Curtis, can we light them up and get any color on them, or it's just not a matching color?

Mr. Cooper: It's not a matching color.

Mr. Baldis: So we can light them up, it's just not going to match.

Mr. Cooper: But I think what Sonia was saying is we can get maybe something from Home Depot or something, just to put some type of temporary up lighting.

Mr. Baldis: I understand.

Ms. Castro: And we turn the colored off and we just put white light up and we just light up the Waterstone like we had them before.

Mr. Baldis: Yes, I understand, but my question would be, the color that they're lighting up is not matching the other colors, can we change the other colors to match the color it's lighting up?

Ms. Castro: Well Waterstone is teal.

Mr. Baldis: Well the idea was to change it at different times throughout the year with different colors.

Ms. Castro: But Waterstone is teal.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Well right now I'm open to any suggestions.

Mr. Cooper: Just to give everybody a heads up, I made three phone calls today, one was to Tropical Signs which is the one that did the Waterstone School sign, I sent him an email, he's requesting some specs and information just to try and put some feelers out or see if they can possibly help us out. I reached out to the other company that was driving from way far away up from I-95 and Hialeah, they're looking back into it and basically the thing is they don't want to warranty something that they're not familiar with for the other two parts of the 3 part sign, so they can't guarantee that the lights they buy will work so his solution was to get the smallest amount of strand of lights that they can get, give us a proposal, and come in here and install it and if it works great, and then we can test that out for a little bit, just do that one sign and test it out and if it works then we know it works and they can order the remainder and we can retrofit all the other 5 signs or just do the other sign that's off, so that's basically what we have going on right now. So between the 3 companies, we'll hopefully in the next month have something going.

Mr. Winkeljohn: I think this is a situation where we throw everything against the wall and the first thing that sticks would be the one.

Mr. Cooper: Right, and in the meantime if we can get some type of white up lighting just for those two monuments that are dark, I think that's a great idea.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Yes, I like that idea.

Mr. Aponte: So we're going to light up the rest and just the ones that are dark put the up lighting?

Mr. Cooper: Right, put the white up lighting just to show the name.

Mr. Baldis: Ok, so that's Waterstone Way and 137th on the south side?

Mr. Cooper: Yes, the south side.

Mr. Baldis: And Waterstone Blvd.

Ms. Castro: No, the Blvd. is good.

Mr. Cooper: The Blvd. is good, but Campbell Drive, east side.

Ms. Castro: The Blvd. works.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Ok, what else do you have Dennis?

Mr. Baldis: That's it.

Ms. Castro: Is there any possibility because I know that we have ambitious signs that have 16 different colors, is there any way that we can get that same color light that we have without that much of variety and color, that instead of having 16 colors available throughout the year that we really don't use that maybe find a vendor that has that color, even if it's only 2 or 3 choices?

Mr. Cooper: The other possibility that I looked at as I was trying to figure this out of this whole entire situation, we could have them install clear white lights in them obviously if we know they work and then it would just be that Waterstone teal color. They also have strips of LED light now, like an actual bracket mount type deal, very thin, where it up lights, if you've been to Palmetto Bay, they have that building with the LED lighting that changes color, so you could have that for the coral behind the Waterstone sign to have that change the color and have that whole coral rock change color versus just the sign, so that's a possibility.

Mr. Winkeljohn: It's better than having the sign do it.

Mr. Cooper: Right, and then this way if that goes out, you can buy another strip of that, whatever that would cost, and I don't know the cost of that so that might be astronomical but we could possibly look into that.

Mr. Aponte: Yes, we'll figure it out.

Ms. Castro: Well my suggestion would that whatever the solution is we find something that we're not tied to the one vendor like we had before with Sol Signs.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Well or only one vendor could do it but I think a lot has changed in the industry since we bought those signs and the trick of matching colors, that's going to be really tough when it's not a clear blue, red or white, is the way they blend several colors, so it's going to have variety, I can't believe that it even came out as well as it did with that teal, I was shocked how consistent it was and the way it worked the first time, I didn't think that would happen but it did. So we'll pursue it and I think we all know what we want, and just getting anything close is basically the problem, so Dennis and Jeff are marching on it with Curtis as the lead and giving us a compass heading and we'll just keep pounding away but just so everybody on the board knows that this is not something where we forgot to make that call, or I should have gotten back to that guy, or that guy never called me back, that is not what's happening here, this is a 4 hour a day job for Jeff or Dennis, 4 hours a day they spend dealing with the lights, through emails, phone calls, and meeting contractors out here, this has been a monumental task and headache and we want to get it fixed, we want it to look as well as everything we do at this place.

Ms. Castro: Well now that you say that, what do you think of instead of leaving 1 blue sign and then 1 up lit, we just turn both sides off and we just up light both of them, that way it looks consistent and the same?

Mr. Winkeljohn: Yes, I would be consistent at that entrance that would be my first standard, I wouldn't alternate other entrances.

Ms. Castro: Yes because I believe that the side that is going out does turn on, it's the side that's coming in that doesn't.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Right, and the reason we turned it off is because they were inconsistent, so if there's a way to get them consistent I think we could live with a lot of options at this point.

Ms. Castro: And we have electricity there so we're good.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Right, the electrician part we work through that process, we got to the last piece which is the actual technology of the sign. Ok, so there's nothing else from Dennis.

Mr. Baldis: No, that's it.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Alright, we know what to do.

Ms. Castro: Ok.

Mr. Cooper: Dennis with regards to Coastal coming out for the up lighting for the towers, are they scheduled to come out soon?

Mr. Baldis: I don't have them scheduled to do that, I've been trying to coordinate the other things.

Mr. Cooper: Ok.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Is that what you want?

Mr. Cooper: Yes, to see if we can have them come out and service whatever LED they need to.

Mr. Aponte: What are we talking about, the up lighting for the towers?

Mr. Cooper: Yes.

Mr. Aponte: Ok, yes, there are a few of them that are out.

Mr. Cooper: I also reached out to Coastal too but they don't install the signs, so it seems like it's an additional step to go through them.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Right, they sub that out.

Mr. Cooper: Right, but I did also mention while I had them on the phone to see if they had any LEDs that were brighter than what we have now because obviously all the technology increasing that maybe we could get brighter towers than what we have now.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Ok

D. Manager

- Clubhouse
- Gates
- Discussion of Financial Disclosure Report from the Commission on Ethics

Mr. Cooper: Next is Manager, clubhouse, Paul?

Mr. Winkeljohn: Yes, I already mentioned through the comments about the refinancing where we are with the clubhouse financials and we're going to be in good shape there. The gates, one of the items that will benefit from the refinancing is there is about \$16,000 or \$18,000 or so that will fall into the new money into the gates. I will point out that when we upgraded the equipment we put the new card readers at all 3 gates now which is helping, all 3 E-Pass readers are working very well, they have a very high success rate. Gatehouse 1 has had several tests, we've had staff sit there and watch it, we're really very comfortable that everything is getting the right read capacity that we would hope for so you know that. One of the issues is that the gate arm is on one system, and the data base that comes back here and says are they an E-Pass reader, are they good and that kind of thing, and then the arm opens up, there are two separate positions and the guard doesn't know that if the gate arm doesn't go up, that it wasn't a ground trip, that it wasn't a safety feature that kept it from going up. So one of the solutions that Alex used to suggest, and I've always wanted it but I could not figure out where it helped us, and I see now that we have the other piece fixed, is the guard doesn't know to go out and see if they have a decal, a PR opportunity, and that kind of thing because they don't know what caused it. At their level and what they're doing right in that guardhouse is they don't know, so there is a little light we can put on there that goes one color when it's a good read.

Mr. Cooper: And you're talking about in the guardhouse right?

Mr. Winkeljohn: Well we can do both.

Mr. Cooper: Ok.

Mr. Winkeljohn: The other problem is the driver doesn't know either and that's basically the educational process, and I talked about this one time before, if the driver is in a different spot every time, they get a different result probably, but if they get a good result and they know it was a good read, the gate arm opened and they know it wasn't the guard, the light going off will be an indicator and I have to tell you, I saw the best greatest thing in the world at a community the other day. They had a tiny LED strip going down the gate arm that turns green when it was a good read and it's red at night

and it illuminates the gate arm and so I thought that was really great. So anything we do to educate our drivers will tighten the error rate at those gates, that's really what we're left with are human errors. The other problem that I don't think we have a good or we'll probably never have a long term solution for is there's an expectation from us and from the residents that the resident who has a problem with the guard would do something, well the guard's job is the visitor lane, that's really what the guard is for, the guard has to focus on that ID and proper documentation, so they want to have that coordination going, and when both are happening at the same time there's a problem at both, he or she is going to error on the side of the visitor lane, not the resident lane. So when they get a bad read on the outside and they have a bad decal, and somebody behind them sees it, that's basically the PR element in my opinion, and our magazine will drop this week, it will start hitting, and I wrote an article about that, just the sense of community, a cooperation with the guardhouse process that's everyone's job to try to start that cultural thought process, saying that complaining or rushing the person in front of you through the gate process and not being patient with the gates is counterproductive to our goals as a community for the gates themselves, and cheating the system, or going through the inside lane and rushing it, all those behaviors that are not good community behaviors need to be brought up on a social level, not a rule or a District responsibility, it's really a neighbor to neighbor, I'm helping my community mentality. So the best effort we can all make to socialize that concept the better, so I put it in my article and we'll keep that theme going and that will help, those are really the last few pieces for our gates to be at their top level for what we're trying to do with the gates. So the next strategy with the gate money is, with all these components the PCs that we bought 5 years ago are struggling, so one of the first purchases for the gates will be new PCs throughout and I think we're in pretty good shape. We'll start looking at longer term items, such as the sliding doors are all going to be pretty soon on the list to just be redone which is a high wear and tear item, so we've got some age wear and tear items that we have to be conscious of.

Mr. Cooper: Would french doors be better?

Mr. Winkeljohn: Well a swinging door lasts longer than a sliding door probably. It's harder to transfer in and out of a swinging door than a sliding door, so that slows down the guard a little bit but we'll talk about with staff if that works there and see but it's a long term item. So the gates are moving along.

Mr. Cooper: Paul could you just make a note with regards to the gates as I'm thinking about it now and obviously when it comes to that point when we can spend some extra money with those computer upgrades and all of that, maybe we could get a camera that's on that entrance coming in for the resident that will pick up the windshield and have maybe a little portable screen where the guard would be standing if he was taking a pass from somebody else, or on his computer screen as well. This way he doesn't have to walk over there to verify there's a pass, at least this way he can see there's a pass and he knows that he has to grab information and find out why and that might save us some money because obviously it costs money to have the second guard there, and maybe that idea would work.

Mr. Winkeljohn: You could put a camera out by the reader which would have the same point of view, which might capture it, and that would eliminate the guy that's blocking the lane.

Mr. Aponte: Well if we go with the green/red light system then that would say the same thing.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Right, that would tell him the same thing, actually it would tell him two things, it would tell him they have a decal, and it's a good decal, because if it doesn't go then he or she has a chance they can go do a bypass report, 80% of the time they'll never have a chance and that's just reality because their job is the inside lane.

Mr. Cooper: Well also too the gate still functions faster than say some of the surrounding communities that they have to make phone calls and stuff.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Right. Ok, the next topic is the maps, Sonia and I worked on updating the maps, I hear they're great, I haven't seen them. I saw the proofs but they were printed and dropped off at the guardhouse and I didn't even get a copy or I would have brought you one, but I hear they looked great so be on the lookout for them. I also

had them update the maintenance map for the community so that when we're having these conversations, like with the gentleman earlier today we can point to it, and I'll update the phone board, those are done but like I said I haven't had a chance to print them and bring them to you. The last thing I have is, I mentioned the magazine, that's done, I'm starting on a winter/fall magazine, and I think about 3 times a year is probably about the right frequency for us, so I'm starting the next one and we have plenty of money for it. Disclosure reports, Sonia you have to get yours in.

Ms. Castro: I sent it.

Mr. Pawelczyk: Well as of today, it's not showing as being received. When did you send it?

Ms. Castro: Last week.

Mr. Pawelczyk: Ok, I'll check again in August.

Ms. Castro: Ok, and I will call personally tomorrow.

Mr. Pawelczyk: I don't think you have to, I would just wait.

Ms. Castro: Well I would prefer to call just to see if they received it.

Mr. Winkeljohn: I forgot two other things, the camera security system is underway being installed out at the lake, and the one at the Boulevard will come after, so everything is moving along there, Mike's working on the financial, and I also met with Manny Volte out at the lake location, it was very positive what they want to do and he took notes to give to his landscape architect to design it in a very secure and CD friendly approach. I showed him the range of planting where it wouldn't interfere with the lake itself or what I mentioned earlier. I also suggested that we would require, and Dennis will like this, some cypress trees put in the lake, it's the one tree that you can put along the perimeter of the lake in the water that it's native, it's encouraged by the water management District and it's a look I would like to see at our lakes, so it's a native cypress tree and it does well in the water.

Ms. Castro: How much does it cost to add to the lakes?

Mr. Winkeljohn: Well we could get little ones now.

Mr. Baldis: Well you could spend up to \$380 trying to get a full grown one. Once they get established they grow, they get little cypress leaves on them.

Mr. Winkeljohn: The investment is the small ones.

Mr. Baldis: They create a habitat.

Ms. Castro: Can't you get just an estimate to see how it would be at least in this lake and the entrance of Waterstone by 137th because if they're going to do that in their lake, then if it's not expensive it's something that we can do?

Mr. Winkeljohn: Well he's spending the money, I'd ask him to do it because I believe that's an appropriate look, so if anybody like the clubhouse wants to contribute that would be an excellent feature along that area, and it prevents erosion also so it has many purposes. I think the clubhouse could afford to do it pretty quickly right here.

Ms. Castro: Yes, so if we could get an estimate that would take away from the fountains, because each fountain was like \$6,000 or \$7,000 and maybe this is cheaper and more natural.

Mr. Winkeljohn: It was \$17,000. Ok, that's all I have.

Mr. Cooper: Alright Mr. Manager, thank you very much.

FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS

Supervisors Requests and Audience Comments

Mr. Cooper: Moving on to Supervisors Requests and Audience Comments, Ms. Castro?

Ms. Castro: The only thing that I would like to have checked is there are two light poles that are out here in the parking lot, one is out completely but the other one flickers, it comes in and out and sometimes it stays on for a couple of hours and then turns off, so to check if it's something electrical instead of a light bulb and have those two fixed.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Ok.

Mr. Cooper: Alright, anything else?

Ms. Castro: No, just the pool but I'm assuming that we're waiting to do the pool leak.

Mr. Winkeljohn: We detected the leak already, I just haven't seen the results.

Ms. Castro: Ok.

Mr. Aponte: It think from what I understood they need to close it in order to do that so I think we'll wait until school begins.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Right.

Mr. Cooper: Ok, Mr. Aponte?

Mr. Aponte: Yes, I have a couple of things, just a follow up on the cameras for the clubhouse, the ones over at the pool area they are cloudy or damaged, and then the one that we need pointing towards the parking lot. I saw the email from Paradyne and they were going to work on it but I know they have tons of work but hopefully they can get out here because I think it's important.

Mr. Winkeljohn: I'll chase it down.

Mr. Aponte: Then the other thing I wanted to discuss is getting that gym opened after hours and then maybe early morning hours, believe it or not it's becoming very popular and I think what it is people are tight with money and they're taking advantage instead of signing up for it and it's been brought up to me a bunch of times, they'd like to come in before they go to work.

Ms. Castro: All the equipment has been fixed because I thought that there was a treadmill that was out?

Mr. Winkeljohn: Yes, there was a repair which got approved but I don't know the results.

Mr. Baldis: It's repaired.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Ok, and there's a maintenance contract that we're trying to sign and I'm still looking at it, but I'll probably just approve it and bring it back to you.

Ms. Castro: Ok.

Mr. Aponte: What do you think about those machines, they're pretty old, should we consider updating them?

Ms. Castro: Well those are good, those are very good quality machines.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Yes, they're on the upper tier but let me talk to the company that we use that I recommend, Professional Fitness (PF), they're very solid, and they're one of the few companies that has the ability to do labor warranty work for every machine without charging you for it and then you having to go get reimbursed under warranty, so they're really good like that. They also sell equipment at a government rate, they have government contracts, they're big, they do Navy, Marine bases and places like that, that's how I found them and we can buy off a government contract, so when it comes time to look at that, they're excellent at pricing and they're very competitive with only the best equipment.

Mr. Cooper: I think the direction would be to see what the cost would be to retrofit that door.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Right, and there's two ways to handle that, we can do the door with a card swipe.

Mr. Cooper: Well if we could change it out to a tamper proof impact resistant that locks and doesn't open up until a specific time.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Ok, yes I understand.

Mr. Aponte: And is there a problem with not providing a bathroom, is that an issue for a limited amount of time?

Ms. Castro: But how can we prevent that really, they won't be able to open that door?

Mr. Cooper: No, it will be locked, one of those glass doors.

Mr. Winkeljohn: Well you're going to change that to a security door.

Ms. Castro: Ok.

Mr. Winkeljohn: So I'll work on it.

Mr. Aponte: Well is that ok Mike, as long as there's a sign that says there's no bathroom?

Mr. Pawelczyk: I don't have any idea if the City of Homestead would require a bathroom facility, I don't know.

Mr. Aponte: Ok.

Mr. Winklejohn: The other solution is to have somebody come open it and be here extra hours.

Mr. Pawelczyk: South Kendall doesn't have them I don't think.

Mr. Aponte: South Kendall does not have them?

Mr. Pawelczyk: I don't know, Paul can check with Luis Hernandez and ask him, I think they just have the gym facilities open only. Well how long are the people here, an hour?

Mr. Aponte: That's what I'm saying, it's very limited and if we open at 5:00 o'clock in the morning which sounds reasonable and we're only looking at 4 hours before some of the staff gets here.

Mr. Winklejohn: Well maybe you could have one third of your staff rotate through and come an hour early and leave an hour early and then you're not paying extra for that, so you could probably work that out.

Ms. Castro: I don't think there would be a problem, everybody's been to restaurants and they tell you no bathrooms available to the public, so I don't see why a gym would be different.

Mr. Winklejohn: Right, ok, I've got what I need, I'll march forward on that.

Mr. Cooper: Great, anything else?

Mr. Aponte: No.

Mr. Cooper: Alright, I just had something that I was thinking about for Dennis, with regard to the school side, there's yellow and I guess maybe on the guardhouse #1 area there's yellow trees, and I forgot the name of those, but can they do something different with them as far as a look of some sort because they look kind of droopy.

Mr. Baldis: Well that's what they do, that's the style of the tree.

Mr. Cooper: Ok, well if there's anything they could do to just clean them up or do something just a little bit slightly different, I'm just asking to see if they could do something about that. That's all I have.

Mr. Aponte: I have one more thing, you know how we worked on clearing out the walkways, I did notice them this morning, they look good, but there is a royal Poinciana that's right across from the lift station, that one is a big issue.

Mr. Baldis: Right, we drove around today on the golf cart and checked it out.

SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESS

Financial Reports

A. Approval of Check Run Summary

B. Balance Sheet and Income Statement

Mr. Cooper: Ok, moving on to Financial Reports, approval of the check run summary and also the balance sheet and income statement.

On MOTION by Ms. Castro seconded by Mr. Aponte with all in favor, the Check Run Summary and Balance Sheet and Income Statement were approved.

SEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS


Adjournment

Mr. Cooper: Moving on to item No. 7 which is adjournment.

On MOTION by Mr. Aponte seconded by Ms. Castro with all in favor, the Meeting was adjourned.



Secretary / Assistant Secretary



Chairman / Vice Chairman